Who among us hasn’t been doing some Covid baking? These All Purpose Biscuits are to replace the Sour Dough Biscuits my family really enjoyed when I was all in to sour dough in the early months of lock-down.
I found it challenging sticking to a rhythm of baking sour dough. Frankly I was wasting too much flour feeding and then forgtetting to mix up the dough. At first I turned to biscuits as a solution to use up the starter discard. A couple of weeks ago I conceded to reality and let my starter die. But we loved the biscuits and so I went searching for a replacement recipe.
The recipe itself is super simple. The key is the folding and rolling whihc is what creates the rise and delightfully fluffy texture. Be sure to follow those instructions closely.
When the dough is properly folded, you’ll be able to notice a change in the feel of the dough. It will feel noticeably puffy.
It is also important to be careful when cutting out the biscuits. Be careful not to twist the biscuit cutter. This can let air escape and will result in less rise in the oven.
They don’t take long to whip up and don’t require resting. This makes these are a great last minute addition to a meal. I have been making them nearly once a week as an accompaniment to soup or for a lunch spread with cheese, pickles, and fruit salad on the hotter days.
All Purpose Biscuits are also lovely with some jam for enjoying with coffee or tea in the afternoon. They make me wish I has some old fashioned china tea cups 🙂
All Purpose Biscuits
- 1 3/4 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 1/2 TSPS BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 CUP SALTED BUTTER
- 1/2 CUP MILK
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fingers until pea sized.
- Add milk and mix by hand until the dough just comes together.
- Turn out onto floured counter and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Fold into thirds length-wise, then turn and fold into thirds the other way.
- Roll out again and repeat folding two more times.
- Roll out until 1/2 inch thick again. Then use biscuit cutter (I use a 2 inch cutter) to carefully cut out biscuits (do not twist).
- Form ball with remaining dough. Roll out and repeat folding two times. Cut out more biscuits. repeat until all dough is used.
- Place biscuits onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes until just golden.