This Zucchini Gallette is a perfect summertime meal! The recipe uses two whole zucchinis and tastes great served cold with a nice side salad or, with another seasonal treat – corn on the cob.
Even though I don’t currently have my own kitchen garden (not much of a green thumb), I still find myself with an abundance of zucchini this time of year. When the weather is hot and humid, we don’t eat much in the way of baked good like zucchini bread or my Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. So it’s nice to have some alternative go-to zucchini recipes!
The filling for the Zucchini Gallette is primarily ricotta cheese, but filled with sauteed grated zucchini, garlic and lemon – since for better or worse, zucchini is fairly bland and needs some help flavour-wise.
The pastry for Zucchini Gallette is as a basic as you can get. I use half a cup each of all purpose and whole wheat flour. Don’t worry, it still comes out flaky. And, besides, a rustic looking dish like this looks tastier with the brown crust that whole wheat provides!
The gallette looks fancier than it is thanks to arranging sliced zucchini rounds on top – to get them looking perfect you need to strike the right balance between thin enough to cook through and not so thinly sliced that they shrink up too much. Personally I don’t worry about it! I’m never one to fuss too much about these fine details. Besides, my boys pick off all the Zucchini anyway 🙂
- 1/2 CUP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1/2 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
- 1/2 TSP SUGAR
- 1/3 CUP SALTED BUTTER Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 CUP ICE COLD WATER
- 2 ZUCCHINIS 1 sliced in to thin rounds, 1 grated
- 1 TSP OIL I use Canola, Olive or Vegetable is fine too
- 1 CUP RICCOTTA CHEESE
- 3 CLOVES garlic Peeled and finely choppes
- 1 LEMON Juiced
- SALT + PEPPER
Make the Pastry
- Mix flours and sugar in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter, two knives or back of a large fork to cut in butter until butter is mized with the fkour and is the size of little peas.
- Make a well in the middle and add water a bit at a time. Gentrly kneading until it comes together as a dough.
- Knead a couple of times then shape into a round.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for at least 30 min.
Make the filling
- Slice and grate the zucchini, chop the garlic and juice the lemon.
- In a pan add oil, zucchini and garlic and saute until softened but not browned.
- In a medium bowl, mix sauteed Zucchini, ricotta and lemon juice. Season well with salt and pepper.
Assemble and bake
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out pastry dough to a 12 in round. Transfer to a large non-stick baking sheet.
- Pile the ricotta mixture in the center of the pastry, leaving 2 inches around.
- Arrange zucchini rounds on top.
- Carefully fold the edges over the filling.
- Bake for approx. 55 minutes until pastry is browned (check underneath using a spatula to make sure it's not soggy).
- Remove from oven. Serve hot or cold.