Our new go-to salad! This Carrot and Chickpea Salad with Dates and Feta is the perfect accompaniment to dinner. It’s jam packed with flavour thanks to combination of toasted cumin, tangy lemon juice, sweet dates, salty feta and the freshness of cilantro.
This Carrot and Chickpea salad keeps really well in the fridge and makes a healthy balanced lunch including protein.
It’s a breeze to mix up too! A few ingredients to prep, then simply whisk the dressing in a bowl, add everything else and toss to combine.
I highly recommend that you take the time to toast and grind your own cumin. It’s just a few minutes of effort, and you can save some for another use. This really is one of those recipes that is completely transformed by the cumin. If you use store bought, you’ll be missing out.
We’ve served this for company many times and everyone keeps asking for the recipe – which is what has prompted this blog post (well, that and a recent facebook post by a friend featuring photo of her toddler mixing up a batch of my eggless oatmeal muffins 🙂). It had been a long (too long!) hiatus – it’s been a busy year!
The recipe I share here is adapted (i.e. simplified) from this Carrot and Chickpea Salad over at POPSUGAR.
Carrot and Chickpea Salad
- 1 LEMON Juice only
- 3 TBSP OIL I use Canola, but original recipe uses Olive
- 1 TSP TOASTED GROUND CUMIN The fresher the better! No guarantees on flavour if you use store-bought ground cumin.
- 1/2 TSP TUMERIC
- 1/2 TSP SALT
- 1/4 TSP CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
- 2 CUPS CARROTS – grated
- 1 CAN CHICKPEAS Rinsed and drained
- 1/2 CUP FETA Crumbled
- 8 DATES Finely chopped
- 1/2 CUP Cilantro Finely chopped
- 1/4 CUP GREEN ONIONS Finely chopped
- Prep carrots, green onions, cilantro, chickpeas, dates and feta.
- Add the lemon juice, oil and spices to a large bowl and whisk until emulsified.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss well.