Indian-Style Egg Rice
This is a Dadima dish. Egg Rice is a go lunch or dinner that my mother-in-law makes for my boys using leftover rice. It cooks up quickly in the pan with just a handful of basic ingredients. Served with yoghurt, it makes them happy.
I have no idea where this egg rice recipe came from. I’m fairly sure it’s my mother-in-law’s invention. It’s certainly not a common Indian dish. For my husband, it’s comfort food. He remembers his mom making it for them when he was little. Now it’s a favourite for my boys.
I like having it in my back packet to pull out on a night when I know we’re going to be rushed for getting dinner on the table. Or when I have something spicy planned for my husband and I that I know is beyond my kids’ palettes. I especially like that it’s got some protein in there through the eggs.
This Indian-style Egg Rice is akin to a basic Chinese fried rice. Using leftover rice and canned tomatoes it’s a 10 minutes dish. Otherwise, simply prepare the rest of the ingredients while the rice cooks and then mix together. If you choose to start with fresh tomatoes you’ll need a bit more cooking time for them to soften in the pan.
You can garnish with as much or as little cilantro as suits your taste – for me I’d mix through a whole lot, but for the little guys I usually don’t event bother to be honest 🙂
This Egg Rice is a great way to introduce some non-threatening Indian flavours to the kids. This is something very important to me, to ensure they develop a taste for their cultural cuisine. So far, this, along with Aloo Paratha, Chila, Aloo Tikki, Veg Pakoras and Chana Masala are regulars at our family table.
Indian-style Egg Rice
- 3 CUPS COOKED WHITE RICE 1 cup dried cooked in 2 cups water
- 1 TSP Canola Oil
- 1/2 ONION Finely chopped
- 1 CUP CANNED TOMATOES Drained and finely chopped
- 4 EGGS
- 1/2 TSP TUMERIC
- 1 TSP SALT Or to taste
- 1 CUP PLAIN YOGHURT
- Cook the rice using your favourite method.
- In a frying pan, add the oil and onions and saute until just soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tumeric and salt. Stir to heat and combine.
- Add the eggs and cook stir contiously until well mixed and cooked through.
- Add the rice to the pan and mix with the pan ingredients.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with plain yoghurt.
Leave a Reply