I love how beautifully colourful this Roasted Cabbage Salad is and the balance of roasty, fresh and tangy is amazing! This makes an excellent stand alone dish for lunch and works equally well as a side dish for anything else you’d like to roast or grill.
My Bon Appétit subscribing friend Dan introduced to me to this salad . He made this for us when we visited his family home in Prince Edward County at the end of the summer. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to share it! I’ve made it four or five times since then.
You can find the original recipe here. You’ll see immediately how different my version looks. I’ve adapted it a bit to my pantry and my taste! I use feta instead of Chevre for the raita dressing. It’s less expensive and I always have a Costco sized tub in my fridge. I’ve also ditched the corn nuts in favour of roasted chickpeas*. They offer the same crunchy effect, but also add a bit of protein. Finally, since most of the year it’s too cold for BBQ here, I simply roast the cabbage for a similar charred flavour.
The key to the flavour of this Roasted Cabbage Salad is to let the cabbage roast really well so that you develop lots of char. To quote the original recipe: “go hard when charring the cabbage wedges—to the point you might think you did something wrong”!
This Roasted Cabbage Salad would be an excellent accompaniment to BBQ or roasts that you’d like to balance with a lighter, fresher side. I mostly eat this at lunch. But I have also served for dinner with my Spiced Chickpea and Sweet Potato Patties. (By writing that here I’ll be forced to get around to blogging those too!) UPDATED: I did!
*A couple of quick notes about roasting chickpeas:
1) Make sure you dry them well.
2) Try to remove as much of the outer layer as possible to help them crisp up.
3) Keep a close eye on them! It takes only a minute for them to go from perfectly roasted to burnt!
Roasted Cabbage Salad with Cucumber and Raita
For the Salad
- 1 PURPLE CABBAGE Cut into wedges
- 2 TBSP Canola Oil
- 1 TSP SEA SALT
- 1 ENGLISH CUCUMBER Thinly sliced
- 1 CUP CHICK PEAS Rinsed and peels removed (as best as you can)
- 1/4 CUP FRESH MINT Chopped
- 1/4 CUP FRESH PARSLEY
For the Dressing
- 1 CLOVE garlic Grated
- 1/4 CUP FETA CHEESE Cumbled
- 1 CUP PLAIN YOUGHURT
- 1/2 CUP FRESH MINT Chopped
- 1.2 CUP FRESH PARSLEY Choppped
- 1 TBSP FRESH LEMON JUICE
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prep the cabbage and chickpeas. Toss cabbage with oil and salt and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Do the same with the chickpeas and spread evenly on a 2nd baking sheet. Roast in oven until the chickpeas are browning and crisp (20-30 min) and the cabbage is charred (approx 30 min) - flip the cabbage wedges once to ensure they roast evenly. Remove from oven and cut into large pieces. In the meantime, prepare the cucumber, parsley and mint. Then prepare the dressing by adding all ingredients to a bowl and whisking lightly until they come together. To serve, spread dressing on a platter or individual plates, top with cabbage, then cucumber, fresh herbs and chickpeas.